Borrowing Creates Less Waste — and Saves You Money
The main tenet of the library is to share resources and knowledge. Every time you choose to borrow from the library instead of buying new, you’re reducing your carbon footprint and saving on paper and printing. Countless other free resources — like the eLibrary, online databases, and magazine and newspaper subscriptions — also help you save money.
If you don’t see what you want in our collection, there’s no need to go out to buy it. Let us help you get the material by borrowing from another library through Interlibrary Loan or LINKin. Sharing really is caring!
Bring New Life to Old Books
…and movies, video games, music, and more!
The Friends of Cook Memorial Library organization hosts many used book and media sales throughout the year and occasionally ask for donations from the community. Donations are a great way to sustainably clear clutter and give others a chance to enjoy the material. If you’re looking to purchase something new-to-you, check these sales first for great prices and give yourself a high five for reducing your carbon footprint and saving on paper and printing.
- Semiannual book sales at Aspen Drive Library
- Weekly sales at the MainStreet Libertyville Farmers Market, Thursdays, June–October
- Year-round sale shelves at both Library locations, open daily during library hours
Renewable Energy and Clean Technologies
Our 2023–2026 Strategic Plan puts an emphasis on sustainable practices in future building repairs and replacements. When possible, we will take advantage of opportunities that reduce impacts on the environment and lower costs for our taxpayers.
Advances Already Made:
- Installed energy-efficient windows
- Reduced water usage in toilets and plumbing fixtures
- Utilize flooring made from recycled materials
- Installed biodiverse landscaping to minimize runoff
- Installed energy-efficient HVAC systems and appliances
- Utilize daylight harvesting lighting controls
- Utilize occupancy sensing lighting controls
- Installed LED lighting
- Reduce cooling costs using a sunlight-reflective white roof at Aspen Drive Library
- Installed electric vehicle (EV) charging station infrastructure at Aspen Drive Library
- Install EV charging stations at Aspen Drive Library in 2023
- Assess potential LED lighting upgrade at Cook Park Library
- Assess potential installation of solar panels at Aspen Drive Library
- Investigate potential use of electric and/or hybrid vehicles for maintenance and outreach vehicles